The Sophia Chronicles

Saturday, June 17, 2006

First Installment

Hi,

I am very cranky today. Mommy can't figure out whether I'm hurting or just really ticked-off. Daddy pointed out that I was cranky mostly at certain times when I was also not happy, but Mommy is prone to catastraphizing and still believes I have a brain tumor.

I kissed mommy on the lips for the first time yesterday morning. I came up to her and she squatted down to look me in the face, and I put my hands together behind my back, leaned forward, and gave her a real kiss right on the mouth, and then spun around and walked away casually. I thought I was quite poised, if I do say so myself. Note to self: mommy seemed inordinately pleased - for use in possible manipulation.

Earlier this week I watched a father try to cajole his four-ish year-old son down the big slide at the park. The boy cried, the father tried to convince the boy it was fun.
As the father was attempting to console his son on the sidelines, I practically ran up the stairs and dove face first down the slide. The father looked on in amazement and said to my daddy "Wow, she is really adventurous." He has no idea.

Bored with the previous days accomplishment of showing up a four year-old, I went on the REALLY big slide the next day. Head-first, of course. Otherwise the soles of your shoes slow you down. Can't have that.

Mommy blew up some tiny balloons for me today and threw them at me one after the other, and I laughed my tushie off. Then mommy decided she would be clever, and rubbed them and stuck them to all parts of her body and my head. I found this very interesting--almost as interesting as the mulch I found in the park this morning.

Well, I have to go back to the park now. Mommy and daddy are working, so I am going with Chrissy who has been designated as my chaperone to what my mommy calls "Sophia's Summer Enrichment Program" three days a week. Even though I have to miss a couple of hours of day care , I am interested to see how I like "Music, Dance, and Storytime," "Gym for Tots," and "Toddler Art." won't describe the first class because the description is so schmultzy it will make you barf. But I'm optimistic that despite this syrupy prose, it will be fun. You know how I enjoy dancing.

Toddler gym involves a "special environment" of steps, bridges, slides, tunnels, and room where weare "encouraged" to run, jump, climb, balance, bounce, roll, and swing. Who needs to be "encouraged"?

Toddler art sounds like a blast. Get this--we get to paint using giant brushes, sponges, and rollers. We get to make collages with pipe cleaners, rough paper, soft fabric, etc. We get to sculpt. We get to use paste. Need I say more?? Grandparents - look for my one-woman show in a Soho gallery in the Fall. I will send pieces that don't make the cut to a mailbox near you.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home