Week in Review
It was a busy day for me, and you'd think I'd be exhausted but I just can't stop talking. Mommy and Daddy don't seem to understand most of what I'm saying, but I figure that if I just keep talking non-stop, somehow they'll figure out what I'm trying to say. However, I am getting very good at articulating what I want and particularly at clearly saying the words I've known for a long time. For example, this afternoon while playing in the living room, I looked straight into Mommy's eyes, pointed at the kitchen and demanded, "Apple!" She went and got me some right away. She pointed out that she was demonstrating how much more likely I was to get what I wanted if I didn't whine to get it. I don't know what she's got against whining. There is something inherently very satisfying about whining.
My trips to the park have mostly involved picking up what trash my parents will let me pick up and putting it in the trash can. I would do this the entire time, but my parents won't let me. Mommy threatened to hire me out to the Department of Sanitation because, she says, they make pretty good money. Daddy mumbled something about child labor laws, but Mommy didn't seem to care. Once my environmental protection tendencies have been squelched, I am also still enjoying pebble collecting, swinging, and sliding. They had a water fountain running earlier this week at the Hippo Park, and I enjoyed watching leaves flow down a stream and disappear into a drain. I also enjoyed creating urban art with some sidewalk chalk that Daddy and I found.
I've also enjoyed sorting laundry this week. I was just taking things from the basket and putting them in whatever pile was closest, but Mommy and Daddy started pointing out where things go, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Darks, whites, delicates....
The classes that I mentioned in my last post were all interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about missing day care. I am very upset when I realize that I am not going to day care right away, so Mommy and Daddy and I are going to try this for one more week to see if I adjust, or whether it's just not worth it to me to miss day care. We'll see. I did enjoy Music, Dance, and Storytime class, and danced a little. I was a little intimidated by the older kids at gym class, so I spent the entire time going up and down the slide. I did help them clean up, though, of course.
I was introduced to Play Dough at Toddler Art, which I very much enjoyed pressing buttons into. This feeds nicely into my previous obsession and continuing fondness for buttons. I came home covered in finger paint (it washes out) because I refused to put on a smock. Of course, I wear a smock at day care all the time, but I'm not going to wear some other toddler's smock; who knows where these children have been? They could have been picking up trash at the park for all I know.
Motivated as I am to spend as much time as possible out of the apartment, I've learned to climb into my stroller and I am SO close to figuring out how to strap myself in. This morning I spent about five minutes trying to figure it out and wouldn't let my parents help me. They seemed desperate to leave to get something called "coffee" and "latte," but I tenaciously pursue things when I find I can't do them.
By climbing in my stroller on my own for the first time (it's very light and moves about very easily, so this was quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself) earlier this week, I manipulated Daddy into taking me for a walk at 8:15 at night and getting ice cream. Mommy did not seem pleased about our outing when Daddy recounted it later on the phone. Something about Daddy's getting to deal with me when I want to go out in the rain at 9 p.m., and I'm not allowed to go.
Mommy stayed with me today while Daddy went to work. I believe she got my message Friday morning when she tried to say good morning and hug me, and I pushed her away and told her to "talk to the hand." She was not home much at all this past week - I didn't see her for a few days in a row - and so she had major make-up time to do. She took me out with her and her friend Jaimie for Japanese food and then to the park and then for ice cream. (She didn't realize I knew the word, but when she asked me if I wanted to go for ice cream, I said "yay!" How could she not know I would know "ice cream"? I've eaten ice cream three times now, and once you've eaten ice cream, you start paying pretty close attention to how to go about getting more.
Friday, after Toddler Art, Chrissy took me to the Central Park Zoo. We didn't get to stay for very long, but I saw these "duckies" who were black and white that I like very much. Mommy pointed out later that they were probably "penguines," but I insist on calling them "duckies" anyway. I get to go back to the zoo in early July, so I'll have to find them again and check to see who is right.
Well, I'm off to bed. I've been very good about saying "bye" every night before I go to bed. So, "bye."
I was very excited that Grandma Wen and Auntie Jo visited.
My trips to the park have mostly involved picking up what trash my parents will let me pick up and putting it in the trash can. I would do this the entire time, but my parents won't let me. Mommy threatened to hire me out to the Department of Sanitation because, she says, they make pretty good money. Daddy mumbled something about child labor laws, but Mommy didn't seem to care. Once my environmental protection tendencies have been squelched, I am also still enjoying pebble collecting, swinging, and sliding. They had a water fountain running earlier this week at the Hippo Park, and I enjoyed watching leaves flow down a stream and disappear into a drain. I also enjoyed creating urban art with some sidewalk chalk that Daddy and I found.
I've also enjoyed sorting laundry this week. I was just taking things from the basket and putting them in whatever pile was closest, but Mommy and Daddy started pointing out where things go, and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Darks, whites, delicates....
The classes that I mentioned in my last post were all interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about missing day care. I am very upset when I realize that I am not going to day care right away, so Mommy and Daddy and I are going to try this for one more week to see if I adjust, or whether it's just not worth it to me to miss day care. We'll see. I did enjoy Music, Dance, and Storytime class, and danced a little. I was a little intimidated by the older kids at gym class, so I spent the entire time going up and down the slide. I did help them clean up, though, of course.
I was introduced to Play Dough at Toddler Art, which I very much enjoyed pressing buttons into. This feeds nicely into my previous obsession and continuing fondness for buttons. I came home covered in finger paint (it washes out) because I refused to put on a smock. Of course, I wear a smock at day care all the time, but I'm not going to wear some other toddler's smock; who knows where these children have been? They could have been picking up trash at the park for all I know.
Motivated as I am to spend as much time as possible out of the apartment, I've learned to climb into my stroller and I am SO close to figuring out how to strap myself in. This morning I spent about five minutes trying to figure it out and wouldn't let my parents help me. They seemed desperate to leave to get something called "coffee" and "latte," but I tenaciously pursue things when I find I can't do them.
By climbing in my stroller on my own for the first time (it's very light and moves about very easily, so this was quite an accomplishment if I do say so myself) earlier this week, I manipulated Daddy into taking me for a walk at 8:15 at night and getting ice cream. Mommy did not seem pleased about our outing when Daddy recounted it later on the phone. Something about Daddy's getting to deal with me when I want to go out in the rain at 9 p.m., and I'm not allowed to go.
Mommy stayed with me today while Daddy went to work. I believe she got my message Friday morning when she tried to say good morning and hug me, and I pushed her away and told her to "talk to the hand." She was not home much at all this past week - I didn't see her for a few days in a row - and so she had major make-up time to do. She took me out with her and her friend Jaimie for Japanese food and then to the park and then for ice cream. (She didn't realize I knew the word, but when she asked me if I wanted to go for ice cream, I said "yay!" How could she not know I would know "ice cream"? I've eaten ice cream three times now, and once you've eaten ice cream, you start paying pretty close attention to how to go about getting more.
Friday, after Toddler Art, Chrissy took me to the Central Park Zoo. We didn't get to stay for very long, but I saw these "duckies" who were black and white that I like very much. Mommy pointed out later that they were probably "penguines," but I insist on calling them "duckies" anyway. I get to go back to the zoo in early July, so I'll have to find them again and check to see who is right.
Well, I'm off to bed. I've been very good about saying "bye" every night before I go to bed. So, "bye."
I was very excited that Grandma Wen and Auntie Jo visited.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home